Friday, August 26, 2011

Progressive Progress

I was informed tonight by my mother that I have been "horrible" at keeping up with my blog. It's not that I haven't thought about it. The issue is that Blogger told me I can't upload any more photos. So, you'll have to deal with just text until I can figure out this slight snafu.

We've done a lot. A full 1/3 of the bathroom is tiled with slate (note - it's a bad, bad idea to start with slate if you've never laid flooring before. Not exactly an easy learning curve), new bathtub has been purchased, new vanity is being restored by moi, and today we can triumphantly state that we have mastered one of the sexiest things that had to go into this house: asbestos removal. And by "mastered", I mean that we paid someone to come in and take it all out. Ooh la la. I already feel like I can breathe better.

Tonight, what I'd like to talk about is project management. There's an added layer of complexity when you're doing a big house renovation with your spouse through your own labor. So far, we've managed to work through it fairly well - he does his jobs and I do mine. Occasionally our paths cross and we work in tandem on something, and it's fun. But this afternoon felt altogether different. Let me set the stage: with the asbestos-laden venting now removed, the last and final obstacle to us placing our new bathtub in its final resting spot has been lifted. I'm very excited about this, but I also feel like, tonight, I'd like to take the night off. So I casually suggest to Luke that perhaps we (i.e., "he") can just remove the posts that had surrounded the vent (those which were in the way of me and my bathtub vision), and we call it a night.

That was an hour ago. He removed the posts, fine. But then he started to get concerned that there was too much weight in the ceiling without those posts, and that the ceiling would tragically come down. Not caring too much about the ceiling, but caring greatly for the wellbeing of my new toilet and bathtub, I take an active role in brainstorming how to fix this. And by active role... well, he, in his work boots and work goggles, with hammer in hand, is cleverly figuring all of this out, while I am sitting on the floor in flip flops enjoying a glass of red wine, writing this blog, and providing critical moral support. I think I better go make him dinner, something involving lots of meat and very little tofu, before he twigs on to this evening's interpretation of "project management" and gets angry at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment